Dedicated to the Preservation of Thornycroft Vehicles
  Back to Gallery                        
 

Thornycroft Group E  Military Vehicles

Click to see an enlarged view         
 

Thornycrofts had a long history of supplying military vehicles going back to the Boer War when their steam vehicles were described by General Kitchener as "The Best".  The J Type (not shown) was built in large numbers during WWI.  The A1/A2 was introduced in 1924 and was available with a 120 subsidy. These 8 pictures below are A1's.

   
The A3 was developed from the A2 and had a double drive rear bogie and auxiliary gearbox. The Thornycroft patented rear suspension developed in collaboration with the War Department, provided optimum traction at all times.   The pictures below show the range of movement allowed with this suspension
These 4 below are probably Tartars
The A3 was produced in a range of body styles and for a variety of applications
   
 
The Tartar was developed from the A3 as a fc 6X4 for general service and also  in a bonneted  version which was used as a gun tractor see group 6
     
  The A3 was upgraded as the A9 with a larger engine the OC4 
 
   The A9 was further developed as the XB, mainly for South Africa, with longer wheelbase and heavier axles and a range of engine options. This became the Amazon which was used extensively in WWII as a crane chassis.

                                 

 

 

 

 

                                                        

Back to Gallery

2006 The Thornycroft Register